DIY Wood Slice Christmas Ornaments
I am on a DIY kick lately, can you tell with all my projects lately? The Silhouette Cameo 3 has been a game-changer for me which is probably why I am crafting more. The auto-blade function is ahhhmazing! I was seriously missing out. I have a few more Holiday crafts that I’ll be sharing soon. I’m getting on the wood frame bandwagon, so stay tuned! I love the look of rustic wood and when I saw the wood slices in Hobby Lobby, I had to pick some up. I knew they would be perfect for ornaments. Homemade is always special, in my opinion. These DIY Wood Slice Christmas Ornaments will be cherished forever and if you prefer they can also be used as gift tags!
Post contains affiliate links. It just means I make a small commission if you make a purchase through my links. However, it is no additional cost to you.
I keep all of my kid’s homemade ornaments and they display them all over the house. I bought extras of the wood slices so they can decorate how they want. I’ve seen some people make these in the Farmhouse style and they are so adorable. I’ve also seen Rae Dunn inspired wood slice ornaments! There are so many ways to decorate these wood slices plus they come in a variety of sizes! Using the Silhouette Cameo opens so many possibilities, the design store has so many cute images. You can also look on Etsy!
Wood Slice Ornaments
- Wood Slices (2.5-3″ size)
- Silhouette Cameo
- Acrylic matte paint
- Mod Podge
- daubers/foam brush/paintbrush (for painting)
- Your design
1. Pre-drill your hole on your wood slices if it doesn’t already have it. I made the mistake of drilling after I was done with the wood slices and I regret it. It makes it easier to visualize your design when the hole is already there.
2. Paint your wood slices your desired color. I painted both sides so it can look finished. Let it dry.
3. Open your Silhouette Design Studio, locate the file you want to use (if you are using a design studio file just select it so it moves to the design area). Using your mouse select the entire design and size it to what you need to fit your wood slice. Just use the arrows located on each corner to resize. Make sure the entire design is selected so each area is proportionate.
4. If your design has different colors, you will need to Ungroup. You can ungroup by clicking the right mouse button when you are selecting the element. This will break that element away from the bigger design. Place the different color elements in different areas of the design mat.
5. Next, add your vinyl to the Silhouette mat so it matches the design screen. Load the mat to the Silhouette Cameo. Be sure to select the type of material you are cutting (Vinyl, matte). Do any weeding that needs to get done.
6. Add your vinyl design (with transfer tape, it makes so much easier!) to your wood slices. Repeat as needed.
7. Using light strokes, brush the mod podge on top of your vinyl/wood slice. Let it dry completely.
8. Admire your work!
The process gets really easy once you get the hang of it. The worse part is weeding once you get into intricate designs. But you can make these in whatever style you want. Your holiday ornaments will be unique and special. Perfect for gifting too!
What will you do on your wood slice ornaments?