The excitement of American Girl’s 2018 Girl of the Year is still buzzing! Luciana Vega, American Girl 2018 Girl of the Year, is STEM-based and is an aspiring astronaut. She wants to be the first person on Mars! Luciana is truly an inspiration to many girls who want to explore the STEM field. My daughter loves her Luciana Doll so much that I decided to make a DIY Doll Tee with “Future Astronaut” on it. Customizing the doll tees are so much fun and so easy with a die cutting machine like the Silhouette Cameo. Post contains affiliate links. It just means I get a small commission if you purchase anything through my links.
The do-it-yourself doll tees can be personalized however you want it. Make a matching tee for your daughter! I’ll be making one for my princess as soon as I can get my hands on a plain white t-shirt.
How to Make DIY Doll Tee for American Girl Luciana Vega
- Plain 18″ doll shirts
- Silhouette Cameo (or other cutting machine)
- Heat Transfer vinyl (Black, purple glitter)
- Font of choice (I used Sketchy [Bold Messy Marker] from TheHungryJPEG available for $1!)
- Star constellation (Design #57554) from Silhouette Studio
1. Start by opening Silhouette Studio, click on the text icon and write Future and Astronaut separately. To change the font click on the “Text Style Panel” on the right-hand side of the screen. Group you font text together so that the size of both words stay the same. Adjust the size to a little under 4 inches.
2. Next, bring in your Star constellation image from the Silhouette Studio and adjust it to about 1.78 inches wide. Position it in between the two words so that it fits the way you want. Adjust the size if needed. Now, remove it so it sits on a different area of the mat (since we’ll be using a different heat transfer vinyl for it).
Your screen should look similar to the above screenshot.
3. Flip your words and image by going to Object – Mirror – Flip Horizontally. You are ready to send it to cut. Be sure to arrange your heat transfer vinyl on your mat so each material prints correctly. Usually, to make it easier, I fill in each object with a different color so I can have my Silhouette cut by color. The text would be red so I set the cutting to Heat Transfer Vinyl (matter) and the star constellation to purple and set that to glitter heat transfer vinyl.
4. Once your design has been cut, carefully peel off the material you don’t need. Arrange your design on the plain doll shirt and press the iron down on your design. Carefully peel the clear backing. Your little princess is ready to enjoy her new doll shirt!
The doll tee is perfect for Luciana Vega! She wants to be a future astronaut and be the first person on Mars.
Here are some interesting facts about Luciana Vega:
- Luciana’s family is trying to adopt a baby girl from Chile named Isadora
- Her creativity earns her the role of team captain for a robotics competition
- Her prize-winning essay on planetary geology scores her a scholarship to attend space camp
- She likes adding her own personal flair to everything – sparkly stickers on her flight suit to rainbow LED lights on her robot
Girls everywhere will know they can do anything they set their little hearts too. She is working on making her dreams a reality by taking the necessary steps to get there.
What do you think about American Girl’s 2018 Girl of the Year?
Disclosure: I was provided with an American Girl doll in exchange for a review. All opinions stated here are my own.